Dental fillings don’t last forever and, sometimes, a filling can fall out. There are many reasons why a filling can come loose. Some of the most common reasons are due to:
- new decay around the filling
- chewing too hard
- biting into hard or crunchy foods
- grinding your teeth (bruxism)
- trauma to the tooth or root
- a chemical reaction that loosens the bond of the filling to the tooth
If a filling falls out, the first step is to call us to set up an appointment. In the meantime, until you see your dentist, it’s important to protect the tooth involved.